Sunday 17 April 2011

Myriad celebrations! 10,000 hits and rising...

Sometime around 1pm British Summer Time today, the Flag Counter on this blog registered the 10,000th viewing of the blog. I was working in the garden and missed the actual moment but managed to take a screenshot shortly afterwards:


Thank you to whoever that mystery reader was, but thanks also to everyone who has taken the time to read, comment or follow my blog since I started in early 2010. It is very gratifying for me when people read and enjoy what I write. Apologies if it has been a bit quiet through April as I have been very busy at home and at work.

So, 10,000! A big number. I'd never looked up a number on Wikipedia before, but I did for 10,000... and what a wealth of wonderful trivia there is there for the number 10,000. The word "myriad" in the title of this post comes from the Greek numerical prefix "myria", meaning ten thousand.

A myriagon is a polygon with 10,000 sides. I imagine that, to the naked eye, a myriagon the size of a tennis ball would be virtually indistinguishable from a perfect sphere as each of the 10,000 sides must be tiny. In fact, I did a quick calculation and I think that each face would on average be about 4x4 mm in size [Addendum: actually, I recalculated that and the dimples would be even smaller, at about 1.1 - 1.2 mm across], although what the actual shape would be I have no idea), so it would probably look like a sphere with tiny (itny!) dimples. That might be the first and last time you ever read a blog post about a myriagon.

Other good things about 10,000? In anatomy, each neuron in the human brain is estimated to connect to 10,000 others.

The ancient Greek general Xenophon led an army of 10,000 mercenaries against the Persians in 401 B.C., immortalised in his book Anabasis ("The Expedition" or "The March Up Country"), his account of the whole expedition against the Persians and his journey home.



In language,  the Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese phrase "live for ten thousand years" was used to bless emperors in East Asia.

(I like this one) In literature, Man'yōshū (万葉集 Man'yōshū, Collection of Ten Thousand Leaves) is the oldest existing, and most highly revered, collection of Japanese poetry.


In athletics, 10,000 metres, 10 kilometres, 10 km, or 10K (6.2 miles) is the final standard track event in a long-distance track event. My own personal best time for a 10 km race road race is 35 minutes and 8 seconds, a time I will almost certainly never run again!
 
And finally, to round off a celebration of 10,000, here's a video from 10,000 Maniacs, for whose singer Natalie Merchant, I used to have a bit of a soft spot in my youth. As I haven't listened to them for years, I wanted to post this and convince myself that it has aged well:
 

 
Here's looking forward to 20,000 hits!

4 comments:

  1. I dont always comment but i always read..
    all the best for future posts big bro!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done SNB

    {sighs}

    I might have guessed you'd go all geeky - sorry 'scholarly' - on us by the way. lol

    Nice to see you're back with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys - here's to the next 10,000!

    Geeky? Moi?!?

    :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment... much appreciated at this end! If you've enjoyed reading this post, why not sign up to follow this blog? I won't even make you wear a robe, cape, costume or anything, unless you insist.